POOJAN VIDHI: Shaligram is worshipped like one worships Lord Vishnu. Normally tulsi is used
essentially and also a counch shell (Shankh) is also kept near the Shaligram. Daily worship
with purity of heart and body is required to get full benefits from Shaligram. (Ref.: Shrimaddevi Bhagwat).
To perform puja of the Shaligram which you have selected to install in your altar of worship,
you will need the following 'samagri' or ingredients:
Ganga Jal, Panchgavya (a mixture of 5 auspicious articles that include: Cowdung,
Cow's urine, Milk, Ghee and Curd), fresh Tulsi leaves, Kusha grass, Pipal leaves, Incense
sticks, Camphor, Sandal paste, Lamp burner, and a conch shell. You may substitute any item
that is not available with uncooked rice.
Offerings to the Shaligram can be of Milk, Fruits, Flowers, Sweet dishes or a Coconut.
Procedure To Be Followed For The Puja:
1. Sit in a position in which you can face the East or North-East direction.
2. Wash the Shaligram with Ganga Jal poured from the conch shell. Then wash it again with punchgavya,
and then wash it once more with Ganga Jal.
3. Place some kusha grass in a stainless steel glass filled with water to sprinkle over the Shaligram.
4. Now, put the Shaligram on some pipal leaves placed on a plate. Light the camphor, incense sticks and the lamp filled with ghee.
5. Apply some sandal paste on the Shaligram and place some fresh tulsi leaves in front of the Shila.
6. Light the lamp and move it in a circular, clockwise movement of the hand in front of the Shaligram.
7. Chant the mantra: "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare" nine times.
8. Offer milk, fruits or sweets to the Shaligram. Offer some money and then give that money to a poor person.
If you are worshiping more than one Shaligram, make sure they are in even numbers.
This means you should have either two, four or six Shaligrams. Place a tulsi mala around them or
offer fresh tulsi leaves every where. It is important to remember that even the water that has
touched the Shaligram becomes 'amrit' (holy water), while you are bathing it, has tremendous
properties. If you drink this water, it can help bring relief from various physical ailments
and poor health so you can lead a more healthy life.
Mantras for energzing Shaligram
"Salagrama silarupi yatra tisthati kesavah
Navadhante’suras tatra bhuta vetalak ayah
Salagram sila yatra tat tirtham tat tapovanam
Yatah sanniihit as tatra bhagavan madhusudanah"
Acording to the Bramha Naradiya Purana, if Lord Keshava is placed in the form of
a Shaligram shila at any place, then neither demons, ghosts, nor evil spirits can create
any obstacles nor harm that person or place. Wherever the Shaligram shila is installed for worship,
that place turns into a pilgrimage spot for the performance of austerities. Because then
the supreme personality of Godhead, Madhusudana (Killer of the Madhu demon) resides there personally.
"Kamaih krodhaih pralobhais ca vyapto yo’tra naradhamah
Sopi yati harer lokam salagrama silarcanat"
The Padama Purana says that even people who are the lowest rungs of humanity, who are ruled by anger,
lust and greed – even such people if they worship the Shaligram shila can be elevated to the abode of Lord Vishnu.
"Striyo va yadi va sudra brahmanah ksatriyadayah
Pujayitva sila cakra labhante sasvatam padam"
The Skanda Purana says that everyone – brahmans, sudras, kshatriyas and even women can worship the Shaligram shila. Everyone can hope to reside in the eternal abode of Lord Krishna.