Muhurta means auspicious time at which various events of life are fixed. Muhurta is as important as the methodology of constructing. In constructing a house four factors must be
taken into account:
1. Location of the well
2. Laying the foundation stone
3. Locating the front door
4. Griha Pravesham
Starting the work at an auspicious time helps complete the work without obstruction. Following astrological canons should be considered while building houses:
1. It is auspicious to start building houses only during the two lunar months when sun is in capricorn and aquarius.
2. Houses should not be built when sun is passing through the second half of bharani, the four padas of krittika and first pada of rohini.
3. Houses should not be built when mars is in krittika, pushya, magha, purva, hasta, mula and revati.
4. Houses should be built when mercury is in the ascendant or exalted or passing through ashwini, mrigasira, hasta, uttara, citra and rohini.
5. House building should be undertaken when Jupiter is in shravana, uttara, uttaraashadha, purvabhadrapada, mrigasira, ashlesa, rohini, pushya or when Jupiter is in lagna or
6. House building should be undertaken when Venus is passing through ardra, punarvasu, dhanistha, visakhha, satbhista and chitra.
7. Saturn should not be passing through satabhista, purva bhadrapada, svati, uttarabhadrapada, bharani, dhanistha, Anuradha and jyestha. Every alternative star from the one
occupied by Rahu
will be inauspicious. This covers 14 stars.
8. The following lagans are auspicious :
Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Scorpio, Capricorn and Aquarius. Out of these sthir lagans are more auspicious.
9. The third, fifth, eighth and thirteenth lunar days of the bright half and full moon days are good.
10. Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays are auspicious among week days.
11. Rohini, Mrigasira, purva, pushya, uttara, shravana, dhanistha, satabhista and uttara bhadrapada are auspicious for starting houses.
12. Sundays coinciding with bharini, Mondays with citra, Tuesdays with utrashadha, Wednesdays with dhanishtha, Thursday with Jyestha, Fridays with purvashadha and Saturdays
with revati are to be avoided.