"Koorm Pristhiya (Meru) Shri Yantra" is one of the oldest, rare and precious Yantra created by 'Aadi Guru Dattatreya' for the welfare common man. Perhaps, the thought of conceiving yantras for the benefit of mankind was formed during the Vedic age when metal came into being. Literally, "Koorm Prishthiya Meru Shree Yantra" means Shree Yantras which is mounted at the back of tortoise upwards. It is also believed that the tortoise lifted weight of the earth over its back.
In relation to Lord Kachehap avtar (incarnation of Lord Vinshnu) it is also believed that the whole energy and substance of this living world or earth is created around Meru Prishth (back of tortoise) which has the elements like water, earth along with mountains etc.
Meru Shree Yantra designed over the back of Koorm or tortoise has eight petals as in the case of the original Shree Yantra where the flower Lotus or Kamal has eight groups with sixty four Lotus dal. It is also seen that most of the designs of Yantras are based on the growing Lotus flower.
Here the question arises as to why Guru Dattatreya chose only the Lotus flower as the base of Yantras. The reason is, Lotus is the only holy flower which originate from the navel (Nabhi) of Lord Vishnu. Where the God of knowledge and creator of Veda i.e 'Lord Brahma' is also believed to be seated. Guru Dattatreya is said to be the representative of the United Trinity' i.e. Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Mahesha. Therefore, the force which pushes man to worship the Yantras lies in the strong belief that these Yantras are created by this "Trinity themselves who are the creator, preserver and destroyer of the world respectively, who also control the Sun, the Moon, Planets and hence, the whole universe itself.
Meru Yantra, like Shri Yantras, has Bindu(Point), Trikona (Tringle), Ashtakona, Samghar Chakra (destroying wheel), Sthithi Chakra (Preserving wheel), Chaturdahkona, Ashtdal Kamal (Group of Eight Lotus), Shodash dal Kamal(Group of 16 Lotus), Teen Vrit (Three Crcles), Bhupur (first square), Sampoorna Srishti Chakra (whole system of uiverse and surrounded by Ridhi-Sidhi(prosperity and fame) gates in four directions of Yantra.
Shree Yantra is being worshiped in the Indian temples since Vedic age. The gist of Vedic Vastu and Science also lies in ' Shree Yantra'. As without the Alphabets of any language we can not write anything meaningful or writing totally depends upon the alphabets, similarly, on the basis of Shri Yantra only, Lord Brahma has created this lively world. So to attain and achieve the material substance of the Universe one (worshiper) has to recite Mantras as :-
It is also believed that the 'Koorma Prishthiya Shree Yantra' was vividly used by the learned Brahmin community of coastal area in Rames-hwaram, Kerla in Seventh or Eighth Century. The Shree Yantra designed on the mount over the back of a tortoise looks similar to the dome of any temple which is slightly mounted. It also depicts one of the fundamental of "Vastu Kala" which says that any residential house, palace or temple must be mounted at the centre to the top, so that the personresiding in it should get more and more energy radiation & solar reflections from the cosmic universe or Brahmanda to be more healthy, wealthy and wise.
The Koorm Prishthiya Shri Yantra is worshiped similarly as Shri Yantra has another importance. This Yantra is explained as the tortoise in itself is a very powerful and protected living being and can live in water and land simultaneously, but does not harm any body and is anon-violent creature. Natural has protected the delicacy of tortoise by providing it with a strong cover or jacket which is harmproof and protects him in the ups and downs of life.
Now a day, this Yantra is Mounted in ASHTA-DHATU. It can be had in different sizes as Small, Medium and Large. It can be placed either at thefoundation of a house, temple or at the strongroom, locker and cashbox etc.
In all, it is a rare, spiritual antique which helps to lessen the ill fortune and rotten fate.
Sizes in gold
How and Where to Place Meru Yantra in your Home/Ofice
1. It can be placed in home temple or your almirah. It can also be placed in your office drawer.
2. It should be placed with respect and place it where you can see it daily.
3. The person who is to perform puja on Meru Yantra should take a bath early on Monday morning, should wear clean clothes and sit on a Aasan and keep with him Pooja Samagri, GangaJal and the Meru Yantra, which should be kept on a wooden piece before him.
4. One should keep hankercheif, towel etc on the head and apply Tilak on his forehead with Chandan or Sindoor.
5. Pooja be started with three Achamans reciting each time:- "Om Keshvaya Namah", "Om Madhvaya Namah", "Om Narayanaay Namah”.
6. Pay respect to Lord Shiva, Ganesha, Vishnu and to one's preceptor. Then do Sankalp i.e. utter in one's mind the purpose for which
the Meru yantra is being placed.
7. Now sprinkal Panchamrit and GangaJal on Meru Yantra. Dry with clean cloth; worship it with Tilak, rice and Dhoop. For Yantra Pendants, put a thread or gold / silver chain and wear it around neck .
8. Recite specific mantra for the Meru Yantra 108 time.
9. Daily receite the Mantra only and you do not have to repeat the procedure daily.